Massage has been practiced since ancient times. In ancient civilizations bordering the Mediterranean Sea are used to undergo a full body massage after exercise and bathing. Today we know that getting this exercise was not only more effective but the time taken to recuperate from exercise were lower and diminish injuries.
Why therapeutic massage has these effects? When our muscles are tense or have been subjected to too much stress accumulate waste substances that cause pain, stiffness, and even muscle spasms. By increasing circulation to and from the muscles, massage accelerates the elimination of these toxic substances and harmful. In turn, causes the massage gets fresh blood and oxygen to tissues thus eases the process of recovery of numerous diseases and injuries.
But this is only the beginning. From the last fifteen years has accumulated a lot of evidence that massage has an impressive list of health benefits for our body and our mind. This even in areas that many did not even suspect.
- The health of our body depends on the health of our cells. The cells in turn depend on an abundant flow of blood and lymph. The therapeutic massage improves circulation of blood and lymph flow. This helps carry nutrients to cells and remove impurities and toxic substances.
- Therapeutic massage also increases the ability of the blood to carry oxygen. In fact we know that massage helps increase red blood cells and white blood.
- Helps release substances called endorphins that give us a sense of wellbeing and help fight the pain.
- When combined with proper diet and exercise massage helps restore the body’s contour and reduce fat deposits.
- It helps keep muscles flexible.
- It helps reduce stress. If we remember that over two thirds of the diseases are related to stress we realize one of the reasons why massage is so beneficial to health.
- Helps fight depression and negative moods.
Therapeutic massage has been proven effective as a means to alleviate conditions such as headaches caused by stress and back muscle pain and to improve skin condition.
A growing number of doctors and other health professionals recommend massage to alleviate problems such as sinusitis, arthritis, allergies, headaches and sports injuries.
In our blogcomentamos news and various health issues. We talked about research and developments of interest in the field of physical and mental health. Our perspective is that of alternative medicine, without excluding that developments in the field of conventional medicine. Visit us today
There are different types of therapeutic massage. These include Swedish massage, which is a relatively soft massage promotes relaxation. Other types of massage and acupressure techniques used are designed for deep tissue. The (or) masseur can combine several of these techniques during a massage session.
A therapeutic massage session can take from fifteen minutes to an hour. Usually fifteen minute session is limited to the back and shoulders and is given to the person sitting in a chair specially designed for this purpose. The one-hour sessions, usually covering the entire body from head to toe, and in these cases used a padded table and specially prepared oils.
Massage can be used alone or as part of a plan to improve health to include other elements such as diet, exercise, or meditation.